Smoked Mackerel Fish Cakes
Starter – This Recipe Serves 4 – 6
2 large potatoes
400g smoked mackerel fillets
2 tbsp. chopped coriander
1 tbsp. grated ginger
1 large red chilli, finely diced
½ bunch of spring onion,
approx. 5, finely chopped
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 eggs beaten
2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
1. Place the peeled potatoes in a saucepan of water, bring to the boil and simmer for 8 minutes, until the potatoes are halfcooked. Drain, cool slightly and grate into a large bowl.
2. Add in the flaked smoked mackerel fillets, coriander, ginger, red chilli, spring onion, lemon zest, salt and black pepper. Add in 1 egg beaten and mix well to evenly distribute the ingredients. Use your hands for this.
3. Form the mixture into 12 fish cakes. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to allow them to firm up.
4. Put the other beaten egg into a bowl and put the breadcrumbs onto a plate, dip each fish cake into the egg mix first and then coat with the breadcrumbs, repeat for all 12 fish cakes.
5. Heat the oil in a frying pan. Cook the fish cakes over medium heat for 5 -7 minutes on each side or until they are golden brown and cooked through. Drain on absorbent paper towels and serve with a green salad leaves of your choice, cherry tomatoes and sweet chilli sauce.